The old Fenimore Cooper School (East 119 to East 120, between Madison and 5th, is now Bethel Gospel Assembly. In the porticoes above entrances, you can still see remnants of cast concrete basreliefs of a number of school disciplines.
Harlem Academy has a new main campus at 655 St. Nicholas – just below 145th Street.
The brick building is 5 stories tall, and replaces 3 previous locations into one consolidated whole. ’s permanent new home is now complete and officially open at 655 St. Nicholas Avenue in Manhattan’s Hamilton Heights neighborhood. The five-story building unifies the school’s operations and classroom facilities, which were previously scattered across three rented, non-contiguous storefronts.
Harlem Academy was originally founded in 2004 and serves students in grades one through eight. As of last year, the school’s population was capped at 125 students.
The new building will allow the academy to double its enrollment of students from Harlem.
The Fred R. Moore School between 5th and Madison, and 130th and 131st, is restrained mid-century gem of New York City’s public architecture. This school and the associated playground take up a whole city block: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/schools/M133
When you walk on Madison between 131st and 130th, just inside the playground’s gates, you’ll see a wonderful bas relief of schoolchildren racing towards school and their future:
The school is named for a prominent Black journalist and publisher who wrote for and ran the New York Age during the Harlem Renaissance.
Moore was an editor and publisher who became closely associated with Booker T. Washington until 1915 when Washington died. He worked to promote the National Negro Business League founded by Washington in 1900. He became editor and publisher of the Colored American Magazine in 1905, through Washington’s influence. He had the reputation as one of the most important newspaperman in the US.
Again through Washington who bought New York Age, Moore became editor and purported owner in 1907, a position he held until his death
The Parks department notes:
In October 1949, community members, government officials, teachers, and students gathered to dedicate the new Fred R. Moore School/P.S. 133 at Fifth Avenue and 130th Street in Harlem. Mrs. Marian Moore Day, youngest daughter of the late editor, spoke at the ceremony. The site of the neighboring playground had been acquired by the City of New York in 1946. It was developed with basketball and handball courts, as well as a softball diamond and a large open area for rollerskating. The playground opened on December 22, 1951.
Former Council Member (now Manhattan Borough President) C. Virginia Fields funded the $885,000 reconstruction of Moore Playground in 1998. As they enter the playground from the northeast, pupils at P.S. 133 and community members encounter a granite and cast-stone replica of the front page of the New York Age, announcing the achievements of Fred R. Moore. The playground features new play equipment, safety surfacing, benches, spray shower, climbing turtles, drinking fountain, drainage and water supply, and resurfaced tennis and basketball courts. The entire site is enclosed with new fencing adorned with steel silhouettes of turtles, birds, and marsh plants.