Here are 3 great photos of Marcus Garvey Park (formerly Mount Morris Park) from Columbia University’s collection of images.
Below is a postcard from 1905 on the east side of the park, looking south towards where the basketball courts are today:
Mount Morris Park was renamed in honor of Marcus Garvey in 1973, the park was built largely as a green space for Boss Tweed’s Tammany Hall cronies, many of whom lived uptown by the 1860s.
Below is a postcard sent in 1916 after an ocean voyage:
The land for the park had been purchased by the city in 1839, but landscaping was long delayed. Its design was eventually supervised by Ignaz A. Pilat, who would later serve as an able associate of Frederick Law Olmsted during the creation of Central Park.
This final image is of the bandstand, and was sent in 1907:
To see the collection: